sister_raphael: (booksaremything)
[personal profile] sister_raphael
I'm having a lot of feelings about vintage books being bought up, scanned in for AI training and then shredded. 

So. Many. Feelings.

Apart from the obvious destruction of lovely old books, it makes sure other people can't access these books, and the information it's using to train AI on is vastly outdated. I mean. If it's out of copyright, it's old.  I like digital books. I'm not against them, but I know people who have bought ebooks have had their libraries cleared after they ended their subscriptions even though they paid for the books. Digital books can be edited to better reflect the policied and beliefs of whomsoever has access to them. 

It's way up there with the Flock cameras competitor which can digitally alter footage later with (apparently) no way to track that it's been edited. Although that's a whole other thing I won't go into here. 

I have a library of old books and I love them. Numerous of my friends are bookworms and book hoarders, and now those old sci-fi movies where the people who have books and can read them are hidden and treated as dangerous is getting less and less like a bad movie and more and more like a potential reality in some parts of the world. 

Hopefully, this won't happen. But just in case... read. Build a library.



Date: 13 August 2026 09:54 am (UTC)
badly_knitted: (Ianto Slaying With Eyeballs)
From: [personal profile] badly_knitted
Anyone who destroys books has no soul.

August 2026

S M T W T F S
      1
23 4567 8
91011 12 131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated 13 August 2026 06:02 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios